Saturday, July 3, 2010

SO WHAT IS THIS BLOG ABOUT ANYWAY?

Food.

I've had a love / hate relationship with food my whole life.  I love to eat.  I hate to cook.  I love to have delicious healthy meals.  I hate to spend time planning and preparing them.  I love foods that aren't good for me.  I don't have a lot of experience cooking healthy food, so when I attempt to cook, I waste a lot of money, time and energy.  And the end results vary.  Greatly. 

This blog is part of a commitment to improve my relationship with food.  I'm doing it for myself, for my family, and for the earth.  I want to improve our health.  I want to decrease the stress, guilt, and negativity that currently surrounds my food consumption.  I want to teach my children healthy eating habits, so they can live long, healthy lives.  I want to make food decisions with forethought rather than as an afterthought.  I want to learn more about all aspects of food consumption; nutritional, ethical, financial, environmental, and political.

This blog is a way for me to organize my thoughts, maintain focus on my goals and share what I'm learning with others.  I am no expert.  I am not a nutritionist.  I am not a chef. (I'm not even a good cook.)  I am not a political activist, and I am not trying to convice anyone to agree with me in any way. I am just a mother with two kids, a tight budget, and a desire to make more informed food decisions. 

Please keep in mind this is a learning process.  I hope to improve by making baby steps in the right direction.  I am not going to be perfect.  I am just trying to improve my decisions and habits over time as best I can.  I have many obstacles including: time constraints, financial limitations, family concerns, emotional baggage and my own ignorance.

I hope for lots of feedback, discussion and ideas. I encourage people to comment whether or not you agree with me. I am always looking to educate myself and look at things from other perspectives.

Thanks for reading my first blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment