Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ethical Eating: Organic Food research

So, I've been avoiding the topics regarding ethical food choices.  There were so many other things I could write about...  But one of the reasons I started this blog was that I've recently become aware of how important our food choices can be in our communities, our nation, and in our world.  Not only do the foods we eat affect our individual health and well being, they also affect the well being of the planet and future generations.

I know, I know. A lot of you are rolling your eyes at this point.  I used to do that too. Trust me.  But I have read several books, seen a few movies, talked with some farmers, and my views on the matter are very different than they used to be. 

Food ethics encompasses a whole host of topics and they are all VERY complicated, and interconnected.  Some things included in the topic are organic foods, genetic modification of plants, eating animals (or not), raising food animals humanely, local eating, mass food production, providing food to other "less developed" nations,  feeding the poor within our own country, equitable distribution of resources, agriculture in politics, and so many other things...

I'm going to try to work my way through them one at a time.  I hope that you will find it enlightening, and I hope to learn a lot.  My topic for my next "Ethical Eating" post will be on "Organic Food".  I would appreciate any resources you could send my way, on any side of this topic.  I'll share all the resources with you and let you know what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment